Salt Lake City Based Photographer Timbra Wiist owns/operates Landslide Photography & Photographs the Journey of Motherhood (see bottom of page or sidebar for more info. . .depending on what this blog is choosing to do for the day).

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Breastfeeding Rocks

Welcome to The Breastfeeding Cafe Carnival!

This post was written as part of The Breastfeeding Cafe's Carnival. For more info on the Breastfeeding Cafe, go to www.breastfeedingcafe.wordpress.com. For more info on the Carnival or if you want to participate, contact Claire at clindstrom2 {at} gmail {dot} com. Today's post is about the importance of breastfeeding. Please read the other blogs in today's carnival listed below and check back for more posts July 18th through the 31st!
 
 

This topic is so wide open. There are all the answers I know now, as a support person for breastfeeding mothers. But why was breastfeeding important to me when I made that decision before having a baby? It was really completely utilitarian. And then I had a baby, and I realized, for her, it was all but utilitarian. I loved watching her fatten up, living solely on mommy's milk. Even the night I ate something that kept her up all night, I love that I became aware, immediately, that the foods I choose, effect her. . . and eventually, when she was no longer reliant on my milk for her sole nutrition, I still had to carry the responsibility for choosing foods that would add to her wellness and quality of life. Nursing made me sensitive to my baby's needs and it reminded me to stop and hang out with her a while. I've always been a woman on "the go" and a little reminder from an itty person every 90 minutes or so, to sit down, relax, take in a show, take a nap, nurse a baby, hold her close. . . those were reminders I needed :)

I try to search my memory for anyone who encouraged me to breastfeed, but it was sort of a non-issue, I wasn't looking for reasons not to. I went to a group of ob/gyns in CA and before we were able to see our doctor, I had to go to a "class" with others, all expecting babies about the same time as ours. This class was to give us a rundown of how often we would see the doc, what each appointment would be about and of course to create a payment plan. One of the things that happened during that "class" was that there was an offer to get a free parenting book THAT day, if we were willing to sign up on a mailing list. . . I think it was an Emfamil list. I think we got a book along with a packet of coupons, a little bag and a can. I saved that little can, I took that can with me to Fiji, but by the time my little girl was born, I'd read all of Womanly Art of Breastfeeding and realized that I wouldn't be needing that can, and that I'd just pump if I needed to leave milk behind for any reason. It was few and far between that this was needed, the pumped milk, but it was really easy enough.

I've said it a few time here, but breastfeeding has always just sort of been part of the scenery. It's always been part of the story of my life, woven in here and there. There weren't people who had to talk me into its benefits. If anything, there are probably a couple of people in my life would like to now talk me OUT of the benefits of extended nursing and all the other parenting decisions that have come along with my embracing of who I am and have chosen to be, as a mother. I've heard it before, and I think it's the right answer for me too "Breastfeeding is so important to me, because it's so important to her." (Both of my "hers.")
 
 
Here are more post by the Breastfeeding Cafe Carnival participants! Check back because more will be added throughout the day.

No comments: