Salt Lake City Based Photographer Timbra Wiist owns/operates Landslide Photography & Photographs the Journey of Motherhood (see bottom of page or sidebar for more info. . .depending on what this blog is choosing to do for the day).

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Ho Hum EXTRA-Ordinary

Welcome to The Breastfeeding Cafe Carnival!

This post was written as part of The Breastfeeding Cafe's Carnival. For more info on the Breastfeeding Cafe, go to www.breastfeedingcafe.wordpress.com. For more info on the Carnival or if you want to participate, contact Claire at clindstrom2 {at} gmail {dot} com. Today's post is things we’d like to share with our nurslings about what it means for us to breastfeed. Please read the other blogs in today's carnival listed below and check back for more posts July 18th through the 31st!


If you could tell your little one just one extraordinary or ordinary thing about what it means for you to nurse, what would you share?

ONE THING? You want me to share just ONE THING? Here, how about some "short" letters to my girls.

Oh my sweet daughters, I write you letters all the time. I do not know that you will ever understand all the sweetness that I hold in my arms each night as you drift off to sleep. One in my right arm, the other in my left. One of your nursing, the other cuddling me.

Alani, you are my first daughter. You taught me how to be a mother. . . you taught me that who I was, is not who I would always be. I nursed you, because I always knew that I would. What I did not know is that through nursing you, through holding you tightly, close to me for SO many hours of each day, that I would fall so in love, with you, with ALL OF IT. With watching your tiny body grow into a big chunky baby, knowing that your life was sustained by what my body gave you. Knowing that my body was doing exactly what it was meant to do as a mother. And you grew, fat and beautiful, like a little dollop of frosting! You needed me, and you continue to need me in different ways. And because we shared this special bond, this special part of our relationship, I have learned who you are. Like me in many ways, but SO different too. You want me to hold you close, but at the same time let you go. . .and we will learn how to dance that dance a little differently each day!

Airi, you are my second daughter. You taught me that with more children comes exponentially more love. You have taught me that I can make it through tough times, that sometimes I need a break more than I know. . .but you know. . . and you remind me when it is time to just sit, quietly, and do nothing, but nurse you, and hold you, and stop worrying about all that pesky clutter! You've taught me that there are more important things, like holding a sleeping baby. You too have grown beautifully on only your mama's milk, for more months than your sister even. I love your rubberband wrists and your baby cankles, two chins ARE better than one! At almost a year old, I still find you quite a mystery, because you are SO very different from your sister. But together we are figuring one another out, and I know that our relationship will be a beautiful lifetime of learning from one another.

Thank you my daughters for giving me the gift of being your mommy and making my job sort of easy by loving to just nurse and nurse and nurse and eat and eat and eat and pretty much be happy as long as you are next to my exposed chest :) You are making my life EXTRAordinary every day, by sharing with me in this breastfeeding journey that is just such a ho-hum ordinary part of our every day lives! A non-decision in it's simplest form.  
 Here are more posts by the Breastfeeding Cafe Carnival participants! Check back because more will be added throughout the day.

4 comments:

Renee said...

Very sweet. Some day when your girls are grown that will mean the world to them.

Natasha C. said...

That was awesome Timbra--thanks for all your posts these past couple of weeks, I have really enjoyed them. Take Care,
Natasha @ naturalurbanmama

Unknown said...

Aww, I love this! I wrote a letter to my son for today's carnival too. And I agree with you wholeheartedly: two chubby little baby chins are WAY better than just one.

Lisa R.D. said...

I loved these sweet letters to your girls. I have known for a long time that you have a gift for capturing the magic of nursing relationships in photos, and I am thrilled to see that you have the same gift for capturing it in writing. Thank you!