Salt Lake City Based Photographer Timbra Wiist owns/operates Landslide Photography & Photographs the Journey of Motherhood (see bottom of page or sidebar for more info. . .depending on what this blog is choosing to do for the day).

Thursday, August 1, 2013

In the Public Eye

breastfeedingcafecarnivalWelcome to The Breastfeeding Cafe Carnival!



This post was written as part of the Breastfeeding Cafe's Carnival. For more info on the Breastfeeding Cafe, go to www.breastfeedingcafe.wordpress.com. For more info on the Carnival or if you want to participate, contact Claire at clindstrom2 {at} gmail {dot} com. Today's post is about nursing in public. Please read the other blogs in today's carnival listed below and check back for more posts July 22nd through August 4th!

 
 


My biggest saving grace with nursing in public has got to be baby wearing. I remember wearing my first daughter in a bjorn (later I would learn this is an inappropriate carrier for a child under six month, but at the time I was just happy to be wearing her) when she was just about three weeks old. We walked to town from our home in Fiji, with my in-laws who were visiting her for the first time (and us) and I was able to nurse her on the walk, I was able to nurse her through the market. A few weeks later, I made a trek up to a friend's house and was able to fit everything I needed in a tiny little purse, with a light receiving blanket over her head (very very warm there) and baby attached to me, a couple of diapers and some water. . .easy travel, she nursed the whole way there. As both girls have gotten older, baby wearing continued/s to be a discrete way to nurse a toddler all over the Happiest Place on Earth, in lines where kids are grumpy, waiting on Princesses and rides, I don't know that we had a single toddler break down in three days. To me, that is nursing success and nursing tricks :)



 
 

Here are more post by the Breastfeeding Cafe Carnival participants! Check back because more will be added throughout the day.

2 comments:

Angelina said...

: ) don't we all love that mobile hands free breastfeeding only a carrier allows?

Krystyna said...

babywearing definitely makes nursing in public so much easier! Everything you need in one spot - breast, baby and physical support to go about what needs to be done :)