Salt Lake City Based Photographer Timbra Wiist owns/operates Landslide Photography & Photographs the Journey of Motherhood (see bottom of page or sidebar for more info. . .depending on what this blog is choosing to do for the day).

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Online Lifeline

breastfeedingcafecarnivalWelcome to The Breastfeeding Cafe Carnival!

This post was written as part of the Breastfeeding Cafe's Carnival. For more info on the Breastfeeding Cafe, go to www.breastfeedingcafe.wordpress.com. For more info on the Carnival or if you want to participate, contact Claire at clindstrom2 {at} gmail {dot} com. Today's post is about online lifelines that helped you in your breastfeeding journey. Please read the other blogs in today's carnival listed below and check back for more posts July 22nd through August 4th!

When my first daughter was born, we lived out of the country, and we had spotty internet connection from day to day, hour to hour. I spent lots of time in a back bedroom, the only place we were able to have a generally consistent internet connection, nursing her, and emailing friends. These were the days of myspace :) My main support came from within my four walls, not from without. A friend of my husband's, a female friend from high school, offered to him over email one day, that if I needed ANY support or help with breastfeeding, to call on her. . .that was the single most lovely and friendly gesture she could have offered me. I didn't know her well, but my husband had loved and trusted her as a dear friend for many years, she had attended our wedding, along with her husband. I never did require any help with breastfeeding, the early days were relatively simple, but I knew she was there and had offered. I was such a different mother in those days, now I am the one who says those things on an almost daily basis, as soon as I see a new little monkey (or sometimes when I know a friend is due to welcome her new little one in a very short period of time).

With the use of Facebook, I try to pull back. I try to share meaningful articles, peppered in between my regular posts about how many boogers my child picked during the day. There are people I am VERY close to in my life who do not yet have children, I don't want to turn them away from feeling like asking me a question will only mean a barrage of information on how they can only do it MY way or the LLL way. I want people to know they can come to me with those questions and I am knowledgeable, but also sensitive to the idea that no every mother has the same breastfeeding goal and that my information and help can be individualized to them, not just a blanket belief that all women must breastfeed for a certain period of time, sleep with babies, wear them, stay home, not do this, that or the other, etc.

I have even had friends from elementary school and junior high and later times in my life, write to tell me that my support during a hard time with the most meaningful thing that got them through a breastfeeding struggle, or that an article I shared on facebook helped them to push through something very difficult in their breastfeeding journey, even without my having to give them ANY personal information! I love that! I hope that I am actually someone else's online lifeline these days!

Here are more post by the Breastfeeding Cafe Carnival participants! Check back because more will be added throughout the day.





Here are more post by the Breastfeeding Cafe Carnival participants! Check back because more will be added throughout the day.

No comments: